Download our Brazil note "Bolsonaro in political isolation"
- President Bolsonaro continues to fail the leadership test in the face of the escalating Covid-19 crisis
- Although persuaded not to fire Health Minister Mandetta, the fact that Bolsonoro needed to be convinced highlights his political isolation
- Markets will remain on edge, as Mandetta could be fired at any moment
- Despite mixed messages from Bolsonaro, both the public health and economic responses to Covid-19 have been ahead of the curve
- For example, in just over one week, the government has launched a system to pay roughly 30mn workers in the informal sector